Tuesday, February 6, 2007

I belive in Christmas Trees




I believe in Christmas trees. Fake, real, tall, short, adorned with ornaments, or bare. For my family, we have been using the same 6ft tall, K-mart brand Christmas tree for years. Every December, we awaken the big box of individual parts from its long slumber and set to work on the annual chore of setting up the Christmas tree. I still remember the day my dad brought that Christmas tree home. I had been complaining that everyone else had a big tree, while we had a shameful 2 foot tall animated Douglas fir that sang "We wish you a merry Christmas" or "Jingle Bells" with it's plastic eyelashes fluttering and its mouth moving in sync with the music.


But more importantly, I believe in what Christmas trees symbolize. This annual chore is done with the entire family, a treat becoming more rare and more valuable. Now days when we see our family only at dinner time, if even, or the ride to and from school, we realize how rare it is for the entire family to do something together. May it be setting up the tree, or picking out the "perfect" tree, or embellishing the tree with ornaments and lights, it is a time to reflect upon another year full of accomplishments, sorrows, joys, and love. It is a time to appreciate what we have and be immersed in the spirit of Christmas.


I believe that years later, when I no longer live with my family, I will still be able to feel the warmth of their love when I put up my own tree. The tree may be different, but the memories stay forever. This year it felt a little different when we put up the tree. I think it was because my sister was in college and it was the first time the entire family wasn’t involved in the process. But in a way it felt like we put more love into it because we knew that when my sister came home for winter break, the first thing she would see is a beautiful Christmas tree decorated with ornaments and wrapped in lights eagerly waiting for her arrival.


I believe that the Christmas tree represents all the memories of the year all in one package. And when it is neatly put back in the same box it came in, we store all the memories away and get ready for another busy year full of new surprises. The Christmas tree that I own is already rusting and is no longer as strong as when we first bought it. Maybe it’s time to buy a new 6 foot tall, K-mart brand Christmas tree. But I don’t know it’s kind of a shame to part with a tree full of memories and love.


I believe that setting up the tree is more that just an annual chore, it’s a blessing. I believe that no matter where I am, what tree I own, and who I'm with, the warmth of my family will stay with me forever. This I believe.
I dont know if I'm going to use this one for my final draft. I'm a little unsatisfied with it for some reason. What do you guys think? How could I make it better?

No comments: