For some reason I tend to think that racism is a bigger problem than sexism. I was reading an article about Obama on the Honolulu Advertiser, which talked about his life as a Punahou student and what problems he faced growing up. And he talked about how he felt different from his peers and how dating was a problem because the haole girls only wanted to date hapa or asian guys. It's shocking to hear how discrimination occured in Hawaii, the place with mixed races.
African Americans and women still are not always treated as equally as a White male. Statistics prove that they are paid less. African Americans came to this country as slaves and were treated as property, and while women were not subject to such abuse, they were treated as lower humans.
I don't know what America is really ready for: a female or Afrian American President, at least in 2008... But if either Clinton or Obama wins, it will be a liberating day for all Americans.
who do you think is better suited to be your next president? I know, Obama went to Punahou, but if you disregard that piece of information, who would you pick?

No comments:
Post a Comment