I think in many ways, Thompson did a better job in trying to get people to donate. Singer seemed like he was trying to make us feel quilty and that if we didn't donate, we would live a life haunted by the fact that we are living immoral lives. Thompson, on the other hand, is showing us what a small gift can do for a family. Singer is questioning the morality of our lives, while Thompson is showing us the impact of our kindness.
It's funny because a while back, I received a charity magazine that I believe was the same charity that Thompson was refering to. There were chickens, goats, almost everything. And when I read them, I was a little skeptical. I thought to myself "Why can a waterbuffalo, or a chicken really do for a poor family?" So, when I watched this video, I was in disbelief. I was surprised that a waterbuffalo was worth so much to the family.
It makes realize that I take so many things for granted. I don't appreciate things as much as I should. My family is actually from China, in an area relatively close to Yunan. I actually visted the Tibetan areas and actually witnessed first hand what poverty was like. However, I don't know why, but I felt bad at the moment, but once I left and came back to Hawaiii, I completely forgot about "appreciating stuff" and resumed my normal life. I remember going to the rural areas of China and visiting one of my uncle's friends that live in that area. We brought him some more "modern stuff" like toilet paper, "canned or preserved" food, etc. He thanks us again and again for things that cost like 5 dollars all together. I thought, "Wow, I don't think I was ever so happy to get toilet paper!" Sorry, I kind of went super off the topic.
....and these are the new questions I have from The Singer Solution to World Poverty:
1. What kinds of things should we do to live a fullfiling life?
2. What degree of charity should we give?
3. Is there really a solution to world poverty?

No comments:
Post a Comment