Thursday, March 1, 2007

Elections!

After watching or should I say listening to the president and vp candidates in assembly today, it is very difficult for me to predict who I think will win. I mean, I felt that all the candidates did a good job in their speech, overall it was way better than last year.

But since it has been a topic my friends and I have been discussing all day in who we should vote for, I decided to write a post on it. Sadly since I don't really know all the candidates really well, I don't know if they will do a good job or not. Sadly I think that especially this year, the elections have become more of a popularity contest, not a contest where the most responsible, diligent, caring person gets the job.

I think that in the case where you don't really know the people running, the way that they win the votes is if their speech captured the hearts of the audience, if their poster was clever and original, and if they seem like a all around nice person. I was very happy that in all of the speeches given today, none of the candidates made promises that they wouldn't/couldn't keep. For example, no one say that they would try and abolish the dress code(that is simply impossible).

One more thing. I really hope that all of you guys vote. I know that many of you guys didn't vote last year. It's really sad how low the voter turnout is. I mean, it only takes 2 minutes to bubble in the little rectangles. We need to keep our democracy alive people! If you don't vote for the school elections, chances are you will be too lazy to vote in the government elections when you're 18. I don't want to get into how we should cherish our right to vote, but it's important. Don't take it for granted.

Vote. We will be held imputable if our democracy falls in a decade or two.

1 comment:

C. Watson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.