Thursday, March 1, 2007

Analyzing what makes a good SAT essay

Assignment: Read 4 of my classmates' SAT essays and reflect upon what makes an essay good. What works? What doesn't work?

After reading my peer's SAT essays, I realize how much I need to improve. I find it hard for me to cram all my thoughts in 25 min, let alone even think for what I'm going to write. I don't really like mapping out my thoughts into a neat "web", although I've heard again and again that it is helpful. I realize that in order for my essay to really sound credible and intelligent, I need real examples. I wish I could think for examples right of the top of my head about something recent in the news or some book that I read, but I can't. It justs doesn't work that way in my head. I really need to practice timed writing because I'm so used to taking as long as I need to write something. I think that it works well when you tell your reader what you're intending to say in the introduction. It makes it clear, and well mapped out. Also, it's good to end each sentence with something powerful that makes you feel impressed. Often times, short sentences are most powerful to end a long paragraph with.

I think that the style of the writing is also really important. It's good to use vocabulary that isn't just something you would see from a sixth grader. As Mr. Watson told us in class, the voice of the writer should shine through the paper. That really makes a difference in the quality of the writing.

No comments: